Navigation

You are here: Home / Messages / Commando 961 / The ups and downs of my 961

The ups and downs of my 961

Up to Commando 961

The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by robert_mackenzie at February 06. 2014

I have had my 961 for about 9 months and in that time i have loved and at times questioned it.First about the bike, it is a 2010 961 sport that i bought used with 2000 miles on the clock,and the previous owner had it built as a 961se as he missed the first run of 200.Yes i had a gearbox problem, the stuck in gear one, but after talking to Sean at Norton and getting the bike to them, 2/3 weeks later i picked it up again with problem sorted, and i managed to put about 100 miles on it before the crap weather arrived. In those miles i noticed the gearbox was a better animal than the previous one. I have had a few electrical gremlins but they were easily sorted by me.To anyone with a 961 who has engine management light and neutral light flashing at you either get a small rubber boot to cover switch wires or pull them off and fill with electrical grease, as switch is right by rear chain and gets water and crud thrown at it, problem solved. I know a few problems and some people have taken a dislike to it ,and i for one do not mind constructive criticism,after all i could jump on the bandwagon and slag it off,as well as its owner, as i have good reason to but they have been very good to me so get my custom. A bike dealer i know has described the bike as pornography on wheels and has offered his wife in exchange for it!

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by john_mcnicoll at February 06. 2014

Previously robert_mackenzie wrote:

I have had my 961 for about 9 months and in that time i have loved and at times questioned it.First about the bike, it is a 2010 961 sport that i bought used with 2000 miles on the clock,and the previous owner had it built as a 961se as he missed the first run of 200.Yes i had a gearbox problem, the stuck in gear one, but after talking to Sean at Norton and getting the bike to them, 2/3 weeks later i picked it up again with problem sorted, and i managed to put about 100 miles on it before the crap weather arrived. In those miles i noticed the gearbox was a better animal than the previous one. I have had a few electrical gremlins but they were easily sorted by me.To anyone with a 961 who has engine management light and neutral light flashing at you either get a small rubber boot to cover switch wires or pull them off and fill with electrical grease, as switch is right by rear chain and gets water and crud thrown at it, problem solved. I know a few problems and some people have taken a dislike to it ,and i for one do not mind constructive criticism,after all i could jump on the bandwagon and slag it off,as well as its owner, as i have good reason to but they have been very good to me so get my custom. A bike dealer i know has described the bike as pornography on wheels and has offered his wife in exchange for it!

Good to hear that you have had good service from Norton, as I've had. Also that when you have had little electrical problems you have been able to sort them yourself . Most owners who have had old Norton's will have had experience doing their own maintenance and fault finding as it's essential ! )

John Mc 

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by david_charlesworth at February 06. 2014

Hello Robert,

It's good to have another happy 961 owner on the forum, and also good to hear Norton sorted the gearbox problem out quickly.

David

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by bob_parsons at February 06. 2014

My 2013 has a rubber boot on that switch, I wonder when they updated it? Maybe other owners can help?

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by robert_mackenzie at February 06. 2014

Previously bob_parsons wrote:

Previously david_charlesworth wrote:

Hello Robert,

It's good to have another happy 961 owner on the forum, and also good to hear Norton sorted the gearbox problem out quickly.

David

My 2013 has a rubber boot on that switch, I wonder when they updated it? Maybe other owners can help?

Hello David, It  looks as though Norton knew there was a problem in that area and have now hopefully sorted that silly little problem out,is that not what you call getting it right.I have enclosed a photo of my bike but it has changed a little since it was taken,as i have now fitted oberon bar end mirrors and Triumph black anodised billet aluminium brake and clutch fluid reservoirs, both of the same size as i like things symmetrical.They are really beautiful little bits of kit, much better than the mini gold fish bowls it came with.If you are looking for a rear stand the one i have is perfect for this bike it is an oxford OF821 and comes with both sets of lifting feet,rubber and hook,you only need to buy a set of 6mm bobbins. see you for now

Bob

Attachments

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by john_mcnicoll at February 06. 2014

Previously robert_mackenzie wrote:

Previously bob_parsons wrote:

Previously david_charlesworth wrote:

Hello Robert,

It's good to have another happy 961 owner on the forum, and also good to hear Norton sorted the gearbox problem out quickly.

David

My 2013 has a rubber boot on that switch, I wonder when they updated it? Maybe other owners can help?

Hello David, It  looks as though Norton knew there was a problem in that area and have now hopefully sorted that silly little problem out,is that not what you call getting it right.I have enclosed a photo of my bike but it has changed a little since it was taken,as i have now fitted oberon bar end mirrors and Triumph black anodised billet aluminium brake and clutch fluid reservoirs, both of the same size as i like things symmetrical.They are really beautiful little bits of kit, much better than the mini gold fish bowls it came with.If you are looking for a rear stand the one i have is perfect for this bike it is an oxford OF821 and comes with both sets of lifting feet,rubber and hook,you only need to buy a set of 6mm bobbins. see you for now

Bob

Nice one Bob yes

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by bob_parsons at February 07. 2014

Okay, I have made a real mess of this. I was posting from my phone and it said something about my browser being incompatible with the forum and the resultant post was a disaster !

 To Robert: Yes I was referring to Norton noticing the problem and covering the switch with a rubber boot. I know the problem was fixed before 2013 but I was trying to narrow down the time frame !

And I want to add that the red with black bike is absolutely gorgeous!!

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by david_charlesworth at February 19. 2014

Previously bob_parsons wrote:

My 2013 has a rubber boot on that switch, I wonder when they updated it? Maybe other owners can help?

Had a look today, mine has no rubber boot, so sometime after the end of July 2012

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by russell_pitcher at February 25. 2014

Previously robert_mackenzie wrote:

Previously bob_parsons wrote:

Previously david_charlesworth wrote:

Hello Robert,

It's good to have another happy 961 owner on the forum, and also good to hear Norton sorted the gearbox problem out quickly.

David

My 2013 has a rubber boot on that switch, I wonder when they updated it? Maybe other owners can help?

Hello David, It  looks as though Norton knew there was a problem in that area and have now hopefully sorted that silly little problem out,is that not what you call getting it right.I have enclosed a photo of my bike but it has changed a little since it was taken,as i have now fitted oberon bar end mirrors and Triumph black anodised billet aluminium brake and clutch fluid reservoirs, both of the same size as i like things symmetrical.They are really beautiful little bits of kit, much better than the mini gold fish bowls it came with.If you are looking for a rear stand the one i have is perfect for this bike it is an oxford OF821 and comes with both sets of lifting feet,rubber and hook,you only need to buy a set of 6mm bobbins. see you for now

Bob

Anyone requiring a tank bag for the 961 should consider one from SW-Motech which fits over a locking ring attached to the fuel filler flange.

Mine fits perfectly.

contct bonnie.wheeler@motohaus.com she will knpw the ring fitment and bag she supplied to me.

Russell

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by daniele_iannarelli at November 02. 2015

I've just come across this thread and it relates directly to a problem I noticed for the first time this afternoon. I have a 2011 Commando 961 SE and today, for the first time, noticed my fuel indication symbol/light and my "N" neutral gear light come on intermittently.

 

What I did notice was that occasionally the gear NEUTRAL light (y’know, the green “N”) would flash on and then off again. The exact same thing was happening with the orange FUEL warning light… again intermittently. The two warning lights (the green “N” and the orange ‘FUEL PUMP’ symbol) did not necessarily come on at the same time. It wasn’t regular… just occasionally. At first I had the idea either or both would come on more when I - for example - used my indicator/s, but I don’t *think* there was a correlation.

Before I arrived home today, I stopped for some petrol (I like to have a full tank on getting home - saves any hassle when I go out for a run next time), and filled up with 8 litres… so there was still already 9 litres or so in the tank… no reason for the fuel warning light to flash on.

When I got home, I started doing some amateurish fiddling around and right away I noticed that when I barely touched one particular wire that goes into the transmission casing, it came away freely and with ease… as if it had been lying in position loosely and not fixed. I don’t know what this wire is but it goes into the transmission casing on the right side (while seated) of the ‘bike. It has a sort-of elongated plastic cover to it.

SEE ATTACHED PICS

Anyway, this completely loose wire comes away freely and easily on just merely holding it.

 

Can anyone help? What is this wire? How do I tighten it to its location? Could this be the cause of the 'warning' symbols intermittently flashing on and off?

 

Any help/input/advice would be much appreciated.

 

Dan

Attachments

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by roger_hainsworth at November 03. 2015

Dan

Get in touch with Norton - they will have the answers.

Speak to Karen, who will put you in touch with Nick, the service technician. My experience is that if there is a problem with a component, they will replace or upgrade it at the next service. Or, if it is urgent, and a simple fix, they will send you a new part with fitting instructions.

Roger. 

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by jani_erola at August 19. 2016

Hello from Finland.

I am owner of 961 Cafe Racer. I have owned the bike for three years now. First summer went badly wrong when there was only 2000 miles driven with the bike, the valve spring broke and the valve dropped on the piston. New parts came from the factory and then the bike was fixed. Bike went broke on june and it took 9 months to repair.

Last summer was ok but this year  I have had some air leaks but I have fixed them. There was little rubber cap between the throttle bodies and there was air leaking from it. And some air hose leaks from air amount sensor. "Im not sure is that the right word in english sorry"

Last week the nut from cluth axel inside the cluth was loose. I repaired that also. Nothing major damage did not happened.

The low fuel light flashes even when the tank is full. That is a minor problem and I havent found the source for that.

Still the ups and downs that I have had. I really love the bike and I will get it fixed no matter what comes in the future. The local dealer has been very  helpful and nice, but we have big country and long distanses so we have try to fix our bikes our selves. And when you fix the bike, you know your bike a little better all the time.

I also have 1950 Big4. I have had that bike for eight years. It has been much better bike than the new one. But the feelings when you drive them is so different and cool I would never give them away.

 

Jani Erola. 

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by Alan Sessions at August 19. 2016

The low fuel warning light flashing is due to cable routing and Norton have a fix with a re-routed wire - I had this done earlier this year at the factory so your dealer should be able to request it.

Re: The ups and downs of my 961

Posted by raphael_vonaesch at August 19. 2016

Previously alan_sessions wrote:

The low fuel warning light flashing is due to cable routing and Norton have a fix with a re-roted wire - I had this done earlier this year at the factory so your dealer should be able to request it.

I can confirm this. It's a very easy fix and you can mount it yourself. But only flashing fuel light is solved with it and not flashing neutral light, if you observe this as well...

Powered by Ploneboard
This is Brio Diazo Plone Theme