Navigation

You are here: Home / Messages / Commando 961 / 6 year wait was it worth it

6 year wait was it worth it

Up to Commando 961

6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by denis_bourne at August 19. 2016

Having followed the Norton re-boot with Mr Garner I decided 6 years ago to have one of the new Norton's well after 18 month's got my deposit back and bought a Tiger 800 [ fab bike]. Fast forward December 2015 at the bike show N.E.C. wifey and I were quite taken with the new M.K. 2. Commando. After taking a test ride in February and having a long think about ordering one wifey said we should get the M.K.2 sport dual seat in Manx silver [ not much arm wrestling there]. Placed the order in mid April and arrived June first.Well what's it like after 1600 miles, no problem, the engines are a lot quieter but do rattle a bit when very hot handles well, brakes are very good and the gearbox is slick, pull's like a train when opened up. Could do with louder exhaust's as the standard one's are very mooted and I believe want help the engine breathing.As for the catchment oil breather bottle there is about 3 mm in it.Checked M.P.G. and getting 58.5 not bad for a big twin.There is a slight vibration on the pegs and bars but I suffer with slight white finger syndrome but this does not affect me in fact the Tiger 800 was worse. Well chuffed with the bike and glad we made the purchase. Be prepared to have people stop and admire the best looking retro bike on the market at the moment, just wait to we all see the new V4 coming soon and wonder what name it will be given to it, perhaps there should be a poll between the members

Den Bourne.

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by alan_sessions at August 19. 2016

Glad you eventually got one Denis and are enjoying it - I certainly have a big grin after every ride on my 961 Sport. Mine has always sounded like a bucket of spanners but with the loud shortie pipes, that is drowned out but I have to wear earplugs.

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by Mikael Ridderstad at August 19. 2016

"new V4 coming soon and wonder what name it will be given to it"

Reusing Big four?

Nice to hear about your bike

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by Julian Wells at August 20. 2016

Previously Mikael Ridderstad wrote:

"new V4 coming soon and wonder what name it will be given to it"

Reusing Big four?

Having had a Big 4 in the early 1970s (I sold it to help finance  a Fastback), I would certainly be amused if they used the name for the projected four-cylinder model - rather like calling a stick of chalk the finest Camembert ...

Of course the Big 4 is really the Model 1 (see http://www.nortonownersclub.org/models/sngle-cylinder/side-valve), but using that it would confuse everyone interested in 961s.


Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by graham_leblond at August 20. 2016

Is that because everyone who is interested in 961's are easily confused?  Or we have no interest in other machines?

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by peter_denham at August 20. 2016

Nice to hear something positive about the 961 so much negative press I guess it Its a bit like all Gossip.

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by boo_cock at August 20. 2016

The V4 already has a name.  Aprillia  Come back Anna all is forgiven!

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by phil_hannam at August 20. 2016

Checking the bike press news and my calendar it does look like AJD and the V4 will both be released at the same time. That should be interesting.

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by anna jeannette Dixon at Sunday 19:20
Previously boo_cock wrote:

The V4 already has a name.  Aprillia  Come back Anna all is forgiven!

hello please forgive the delayed response well the Aprilia motorcycle are a very good modern motorcycle   but the best retro out on the market today is a Honda CB1100ex  and far better look than the Honda CB 750   or  anything else  in its class  but Horex do have a very nice VR 6 Retro classic  price tag of £23 grand the same price has the Norton V4   if I had this kind of cash to spend for me it would be the Horex   the engineering  is superb  and the handling to  but  the future may bring us a machine that has anti-gravitic qualities no need of wheels and the like just get on and ride  at high speed  and no roads to worry about just trying to miss the lamppost and trees  and the like, and one day you be able to dock in your smartphone on your bike and just tap in where you want to go!  but one can only dream have fun yours  anna j

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by david_evans at Sunday 21:12

Mork calling Orson..........

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by michael_sullivan at Monday 17:38

Dennis:  What did you do with the Tiger 800?

Mike

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by denis_bourne at Tuesday 23:03

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

Dennis:  What did you do with the Tiger 800?

Mike

Hi Mike,

sold the Tiger 800 about 3 years ago bought it from new but never kept a Triumph more than 2 years { this was my 4th Triumph} and any way wrong name on the tank and wanted a change. Tiger is a brilliant bike and ticks all the boxes for me try one you will not be disappointed. I had 4 Norton's standing idle so put a couple on the road then we decided to try the 961 M.K. 2. what's it like well it is different animal but OK, it let me down once when the temperature sensor at the back of the barrels went faulty got it to Mark at Norton and was fixed. Done 3000 miles now and it is going well, I have run her in really well and I do not see any problems not using any oil and no oil leaks. Did pick up a 4 inch bolt through the back tyre but that's not the Norton's fault.

Would I change anything, yes, put the long open pipes on to give it a bit of character and over come the engine rattles when hot and a more heavy duty battery. The Norton 10 months old now and looking forward to those long summer evenings.

Den Bourne

 

 

Attachments

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by steve_brunt at Thursday 13:06

Previously denis_bourne wrote:

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

Dennis:  What did you do with the Tiger 800?

Mike

Hi Mike,

sold the Tiger 800 about 3 years ago bought it from new but never kept a Triumph more than 2 years { this was my 4th Triumph} and any way wrong name on the tank and wanted a change. Tiger is a brilliant bike and ticks all the boxes for me try one you will not be disappointed. I had 4 Norton's standing idle so put a couple on the road then we decided to try the 961 M.K. 2. what's it like well it is different animal but OK, it let me down once when the temperature sensor at the back of the barrels went faulty got it to Mark at Norton and was fixed. Done 3000 miles now and it is going well, I have run her in really well and I do not see any problems not using any oil and no oil leaks. Did pick up a 4 inch bolt through the back tyre but that's not the Norton's fault.

Would I change anything, yes, put the long open pipes on to give it a bit of character and over come the engine rattles when hot and a more heavy duty battery. The Norton 10 months old now and looking forward to those long summer evenings.

Den Bourne

 

 

Den,

I really recommend fitting the de-cat kit.  It's pricey but it really allows the big twin to breathe and has improved the bike no end.

Steve

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by Charles Bovington at Thursday 13:43

Previously steve_brunt wrote:

Previously denis_bourne wrote:

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

Dennis:  What did you do with the Tiger 800?

Mike

Hi Mike,

sold the Tiger 800 about 3 years ago bought it from new but never kept a Triumph more than 2 years { this was my 4th Triumph} and any way wrong name on the tank and wanted a change. Tiger is a brilliant bike and ticks all the boxes for me try one you will not be disappointed. I had 4 Norton's standing idle so put a couple on the road then we decided to try the 961 M.K. 2. what's it like well it is different animal but OK, it let me down once when the temperature sensor at the back of the barrels went faulty got it to Mark at Norton and was fixed. Done 3000 miles now and it is going well, I have run her in really well and I do not see any problems not using any oil and no oil leaks. Did pick up a 4 inch bolt through the back tyre but that's not the Norton's fault.

Would I change anything, yes, put the long open pipes on to give it a bit of character and over come the engine rattles when hot and a more heavy duty battery. The Norton 10 months old now and looking forward to those long summer evenings.

Den Bourne

 

 

Den,

I really recommend fitting the de-cat kit.  It's pricey but it really allows the big twin to breathe and has improved the bike no end.

Steve


Can you still meet emissions and noise standards,or are you 'illegal'?

Re: 6 year wait was it worth it

Posted by michael_sullivan at Friday 17:48

Charles:

Very nice....

I'm jealous

Mike

Powered by Ploneboard
Upcoming Events
Stafford International Classic Bike Show Apr 22, 2017 - Apr 23, 2017 — Stafford Showground, Weston Rd, Stafford ST18 0BD
Norfolk branch camping weekend May 12, 2017 - May 14, 2017 — Whitwell and Reepham railway station, Reepham, Norwich NR10 4GA 01603 871694
CRMC Track Parade - Mallory Park May 20, 2017 - May 21, 2017 — Mallory Park,Church Rd, Kirkby Mallory LE9 7QE
Surrey Branch at the Kempton Park Classic Motorcycle Show & Auto-jumble May 20, 2017 09:30 AM - 04:00 PM — Kempton Park, Staines Road East, Sunbury on Thames, Middlesex TW16 5AQ
Tay Valley Branch - lunch meeting May 21, 2017 11:00 AM - 04:00 PM — Ben Lawers Hotel,Loch Tay, Aberfeldy, Perthshire, PH15 2PA
Upcoming events…
This is Brio Diazo Plone Theme