Navigation

You are here: Home / Messages / Commando / My hydraulic clutch project

My hydraulic clutch project

Up to Commando

My hydraulic clutch project

Posted by Katherine Scott at June 25. 2017

I have been working on this for a while, now on version three! I have a viable working solution.  
I know we can buy Jim's excellent  system from the show pony stores and there are those out there with superlight two finger cable clutches (Hulk Hogan and  Rambow;0)  however  my 75 mk3 clutch just felt like you were squeezing  a turd through a sieve  :shock:   even with a new hub good bronze and steel plates, stack height checked, and a new well lubed cable  it was hard work   and in traffic it got dammed painful ,  what follows is how I have worked my way through the problem.

Version 1
[img]http://i.imgur.com/c4oyzuXl.jpg[/img]
Version one was a remake of the Christmas cracker quality  Hydraulic  cable type cylinders  sold on ebay   for peanuts I bought two from China just for the seals , none of the Chinese units had enough travel   to fully disengage the clutch, on my MK3, I needed 18mm of cable travel to get 3.5mm of lift on the spring.  I made longer cylinder bodies in stainless steel, messed around with piston sizes, and master cylinders, finally I got the system to work  but it was heavier to operate than the original cable system I threw that one into must try harder section and went back to the drawing  board (sketch pad)

Version 2
[img]http://i.imgur.com/eq4FNzrl.jpg[/img]
Version two  had to fit inside the gearbox  outer cover and apply direct pressure on the end of the clutch push rod,  I had planned to carry out the lay-shaft roller bearing conversion and replace the bushes in the rest,   so decided to combine the two jobs  while I was in there.  I worked on making a cylinder that would fit inside the covers and not affect the workings of the gearbox  ratchet mechanism now it's done and working  thought I would share it.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/KXmzdF6l.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/HQRA5eOl.jpg[/img]

Version 3
Hard anodised and ready for use

[img]http://i.imgur.com/awBBrjol.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/rOoF5yrl.jpg[/img]

All installed and working fine

[img]http://i.imgur.com/XM8b6gYl.jpg[/img]

Still a few things to finalise however It's lighter than the cable mechanism to operate,  gear changes are more positive and finding neutral is no longer like searching for a lost tribe in the Amazon rain forest :wink:

Powered by Ploneboard
This is Brio Diazo Plone Theme