Navigation

You are here: Home / Messages / Commando / Noisy in low gears

Noisy in low gears

Up to Commando

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by david_evans at July 12. 2017

Deep groove ball bearing as recommended by Mick Hemmings is FAG 6203TB with a phenolic cage.  The roller is NJ203E

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by Colin Peterson at July 12. 2017

Yes, I get a feeling I might've trashed that bearing for nothing ... But I wanted to leave no stone unturned. I'd read about the need to check the layshaft for shimming when using a roller, but interestingly no shims came out. Thanks for the info on Mr Hemmings' recommendation! I'll probably go that way ...

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by christopher_winsby at July 12. 2017

Well done on getting it out.

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by Colin Peterson at July 12. 2017

Previously christopher_winsby wrote:

Well done on getting it out.

Thank you! It took a lot of heat, and a fair bit of slidehammering! No way was that thing going to pop out by itself, unfortunately. You never know when an angle grinder, a couple of thread-cutting taps and a battered old length of bar that I've probably had since the 1970s might come in handy! Now on to cleaning and inspecting the innards. Thanks all for the support so far!

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by Colin Peterson at July 13. 2017

Here's a question – should the kickstart bush (part no. 04.0473) be free to rotate in the gearbox inner cover, even closely? Mine does with negligible slop, but curiously it won't slide out, it would take at least a small amount of bashing to remove it. The inner diameter shows use but original machining marks (I think) predominate. What to do?

And another question – my clutch pushrod has been fitted with an O-ring, as discussed elsewhere on the site, where an O-ring of '1mm section x 3mm ID' is mentioned. Anyone know if there's a regular Andover O-ring I can use as a replacement? The one on the carb idle screw looks close ...

Cheers!

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by david_evans at July 13. 2017

I modified my push rod by cutting it in half, machining the rough ends and fitting a ball bearing between the two halves. More recently I have fitted an o ring on the outer ends of both parts. the clutch action is now very notchy so maybe me trying to be a smartarse has backfiredCry

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by Colin Peterson at July 13. 2017

Previously david_evans wrote:

I modified my push rod by cutting it in half, machining the rough ends and fitting a ball bearing between the two halves. More recently I have fitted an o ring on the outer ends of both parts. the clutch action is now very notchy so maybe me trying to be a smartarse has backfiredCry

D'oh! I'm pretty sure Norman White put the O-ring on the pushrod for me, then for good measure I stuck David Comeau's seal on the end of the mainshaft – oil still gets through, albeit much more slowly, so I wouldn't blame you for trying!

About this ...

While I'm here I have another question (which makes three that I'm hanging on, just so we know!) – there was one gearbox inner cover nut that my ¼ WW socket wouldn't fit, as it couldn't get between the nut and the side of the cover, any recommendations? I forced it off with a ¼ WW spanner and some abuse, wouldn't want to do that again ...

I just spoke to Angela and Mick Hemmings, their solution is just to grind the socket down! I'd hoped they might have a tool to sell me, but I didn't realise they don't have a shop any more ... I've done that for something before, but it does make me wonder what Norton thought we'd do. Anyway you can ignore that one now! Cheers.

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by Colin Peterson at July 17. 2017

Any thoughts on whether the gearbox inner cover kickstart bush (part no. 04.0473) should be free to rotate in the cover, even closely? Mine does with negligible slop, but curiously it won't slide out, it would take at least a small amount of bashing to remove it. The inner diameter shows use but original machining marks (I think) predominate. What to do? TIA

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by christopher_winsby at July 17. 2017

Previously Colin Peterson wrote:

Previously david_evans wrote:

I modified my push rod by cutting it in half, machining the rough ends and fitting a ball bearing between the two halves. More recently I have fitted an o ring on the outer ends of both parts. the clutch action is now very notchy so maybe me trying to be a smartarse has backfiredCry

D'oh! I'm pretty sure Norman White put the O-ring on the pushrod for me, then for good measure I stuck David Comeau's seal on the end of the mainshaft – oil still gets through, albeit much more slowly, so I wouldn't blame you for trying!

About this ...

While I'm here I have another question (which makes three that I'm hanging on, just so we know!) – there was one gearbox inner cover nut that my ¼ WW socket wouldn't fit, as it couldn't get between the nut and the side of the cover, any recommendations? I forced it off with a ¼ WW spanner and some abuse, wouldn't want to do that again ...

I just spoke to Angela and Mick Hemmings, their solution is just to grind the socket down! I'd hoped they might have a tool to sell me, but I didn't realise they don't have a shop any more ... I've done that for something before, but it does make me wonder what Norton thought we'd do. Anyway you can ignore that one now! Cheers.

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by christopher_winsby at July 17. 2017

Good quality thin wall sockets.

Most cheap socket sets are thicker walled due to quality of the material.

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by Colin Peterson at July 17. 2017

Thanks for that, Christopher – this gearbox business is already costing me a bloomin' fortune so I think I'll grind the socket I have! Still wondering about that kickstart bush ...

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by christopher_winsby at July 17. 2017

Previously Colin Peterson wrote:

Thanks for that, Christopher – this gearbox business is already costing me a bloomin' fortune so I think I'll grind the socket I have! Still wondering about that kickstart bush ...

I had a look at one I have and it does not move. Having cleaned the one I have in the bike I put a drop of penetrating LocTite on the joint and left it over night.

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by christopher_winsby at July 17. 2017
Previously Colin Peterson wrote:

Thanks for that, Christopher – this gearbox business is already costing me a bloomin' fortune so I think I'll grind the socket I have! Still wondering about that kickstart bush ...

Costs can run away that is for sure.

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by Colin Peterson at July 17. 2017

Previously christopher_winsby wrote:

Previously Colin Peterson wrote:

Thanks for that, Christopher – this gearbox business is already costing me a bloomin' fortune so I think I'll grind the socket I have! Still wondering about that kickstart bush ...

I had a look at one I have and it does not move. Having cleaned the one I have in the bike I put a drop of penetrating LocTite on the joint and left it over night.

Thanks for that about the bush too, I only just noticed it – this message board does seem to misfire occasionally, I'd much rather have email notifications of messages, as we did many years ago. I wouldn't have missed it then. I also think the present format contributes to the 'compartmentalising' of interest in particular models and activities – when we had an email bulletin board I'd see every message on every subject, and one always had the option to delete, or receive a digest instead IIRC.

Anyway, about your LocTite tip, I've been thinking along much the same lines – I have some suitable LocTite and shall use that. Cheers!

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by robert_tuck at July 17. 2017

Hemmings used to fit reduced hexagon nuts to the inner cover, these can be obtained from various suppliers.

Re: Noisy in low gears

Posted by Colin Peterson at July 17. 2017

Excellent tip Robert, thank you! Only, I just did a search online and didn't find any reduced hexagon nuts, might you recommend a supplier? Cheers.

Typical – as soon as I posted that, I found a supplier – I might as well share: http://www.stainlessautomotivefastenings.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=342_94_97&zenid=b5b4bb6d6e81338190d7522e2a0527fb

Thanks again!

Powered by Ploneboard
Upcoming Events
Tay Valley Branch Camping Weekend - Applecross Jul 28, 2017 - Jul 29, 2017
CRMC Track Parade - Donington Classic Festival - 3 days Aug 04, 2017 - Aug 06, 2017 — Donington Park, Castle Donington, Derby DE74 2RP
Yorkshire Branch at the Hebden Bridge Vintage Weekend Aug 05, 2017 - Aug 06, 2017 — Calder Holmes Park, Hebden Bridge West Yorkshire, HX7 8EE.
Brittania Rally - Denmark Aug 18, 2017 - Aug 20, 2017 — Jolly Roger Mc, Nørre Langgade, 8840 Rødkærsbro, Denmark
2017 International Rally Aug 24, 2017 - Aug 28, 2017 — Open Huis, Ieperstraat 157 - 8840 Staden, Belgium
Upcoming events…
This is Brio Diazo Plone Theme