Navigation

You are here: Home / Messages / Commando / Indian Interstate tank

Indian Interstate tank

Up to Commando

Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Kevin Feltoe at February 27. 2017

For anyone who is interested, I have just this minute ordered a black and gold interstate tank from Vintageindia13. The big delivery date is from 10th March to 20th March. I'll keep this post updated as things progress. If you are not racked with arthritis, please keep your fingers crossed for me.

I paid £330 inc postage. Sigh!

If anyone needs a fibreglass interstate tank that would look its best in a landfill, feel free to collect.

Kev.

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by john_alexander at February 27. 2017
Previously Kevin Feltoe wrote:

For anyone who is interested, I have just this minute ordered a black and gold interstate tank from Vintageindia13. The big delivery date is from 10th March to 20th March. I'll keep this post updated as things progress. If you are not racked with arthritis, please keep your fingers crossed for me.

I paid £330 inc postage. Sigh!

If anyone needs a fibreglass interstate tank that would look its best in a landfill, feel free to collect.

Kev.

Well done Kev. I have also ordered one for a roadster from khanmousin2010 should be here from 7th March. Have to see how they turn out............

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Martyn Watson at February 28. 2017

Can you post some pictures of the roadster tank when it arrives? What made you go for that seller?

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by anna jeannette Dixon at February 28. 2017

Hello If it's anything Like the 1954  Dominator tank Brought  It May not fit right in the Front area Has I found with India made tank  I now Have at the cost £290 

    yours   anna j  

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Kevin Feltoe at February 28. 2017

I have contacted the seller to ensure that I will be sent a black tank with gold logo and pin stripe, as when I ordered, my request for same wasn't answered and I was worried I might get a silver tank; I initially just received the usual general order acceptance.

The seller has replied, and assures me that I will get 'black and gold'.

I was wondering how long it would take before 'doom and gloom' pervaded this thread. Well done Anna. As if its not enough to see money flowing out of our accounts, we have to listen to tales of horror and the unexpected.

Good luck with yours John.

Kev

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by john_alexander at February 28. 2017
  1. Previously Martyn Watson wrote:

Can you post some pictures of the roadster tank when it arrives? What made you go for that seller?

Hi Martyn

Yes of course I'll post photo's.

I used this seller because it's painted, free P+P and he took a lower bid (I know that customs will take their slice) also worked out the cheapest.

Just wait now to see if it hold petrol,and fits

Hopefully it won't be damaged

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Martyn Watson at February 28. 2017

Previously john_alexander wrote:

  1. Previously Martyn Watson wrote:

Can you post some pictures of the roadster tank when it arrives? What made you go for that seller?

Hi Martyn

Yes of course I'll post photo's.

I used this seller because it's painted, free P+P and he took a lower bid (I know that customs will take their slice) also worked out the cheapest.

Just wait now to see if it hold petrol,and fits

Hopefully it won't be damaged

I noticed there were several cheaper ones advertised, is it a case of you order it and then the seller contacts you and says he's made a mistake and wants more money before despatching? I've had that happen to an item that appeared reasonable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norton-Commando-Interstate-fuel-tank-gas-tank-made-out-of-toolings-top-quality-/152417949282?hash=item237cd15662:g:DiEAAOSwr81UN5qW

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Kevin Feltoe at March 10. 2017

I'm informed that my new Interstate tank is on its way, but I'm having trouble tracking its whereabouts. Delivery date is now between 10th and 15th March. I'm hoping that I get a little more detailed information so that I can be sure of where it is in real time, and when I'm likely to have to answer the knock at my door.

My crossed fingers are beginning to ache.

Kev

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Chris Grimmett at March 11. 2017

It will be interesting to see how these tanks work out.  I am sure that the early versions would have been poor but the ever resourceful Indian sub-continent is a fast learner.  I wouldn't mind betting that before long, if not already, these tanks will fit and will be of serviceable quality.

Looking at a couple of my original Interstate tanks, they require different numbers of packing washers to level them up so they were by no means a precision item in the first place.  The front fixings weren't exactly an engineering miracle either so how critical should we be?

I also wonder how many actual manufacturers there are: probably not as many as the number of sellers out there.  There's also the question of which of the three main sizes of Interstate tank they used as their template.

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by ian_cordes at March 11. 2017

Martyn. I guess the one you provided a link to is in bare metal, hence the price difference. May be the way to go, with less initial outlay, and import tax. Also, that way you see it 'in the flesh', and can get your favourite local painter to finish it. Depends on the standard of Indian paint prep I suppose. Money-wise it shouldn't work out too much different. You pays yer money etc...

Just noticed, £45 p&p on that one, free postage on others.

Has anyone spotted an aluminium, or even steel, Proddie Racer tank?

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Alan Throssell at March 11. 2017
Previously Kevin Feltoe wrote:

For anyone who is interested, I have just this minute ordered a black and gold interstate tank from Vintageindia13. The big delivery date is from 10th March to 20th March. I'll keep this post updated as things progress. If you are not racked with arthritis, please keep your fingers crossed for me.

I paid £330 inc postage. Sigh!

If anyone needs a fibreglass interstate tank that would look its best in a landfill, feel free to collect.

Kev.

Hi Kev, I expect there are a lot of Commando owners hoping for good news from you. I too had to replace my fibreglass tank but luckily purchased a good 2nd hand steel tank through the NOC. I do have my fingers crossed for you and look forward to hear about your new tank. Regards, Alan

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by john_alexander at March 16. 2017

Well my roadster arrived yesterday.I ordered it painted and with cap.Well packaged.

All threads are 5/16 UNF (other han petrol taps)only needed to tap one ,and that's only to clear the paint.

Found some small amount of cloth inside.While shaking it out the petrol cap fell off! It has the standard size tension pin is fitted,but the cap and tank are 4 m/m so had to get a larger pin(halfords)haven't fitted that as yet.

Cap has a small mark on it.

The back of the tank is closer to the frame.I've used slightly thicker padding to get around that.Everything lines up,and it's held petrol overnight.

Well pleased.Recommended.

Attachments

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Kevin Feltoe at March 16. 2017

Well everyone, here we go!

The tank turned up on the 13th. I was lucky; I was in at the time. I'd had no warning and the tracking option didn't work. I was so gob smacked to have the guy standing at my front door that I never even thought to check out the drivers particulars. I signed for the box and he'd driven off before my jaw left the floor and my mouth closed.

Before I begin the autopsy I should say that I'm not going to tell anyone whether they should buy one or not. That is up to the purchaser alone. All I'm going to do is give my feed back. Its up to everyone else to come to their own conclusion.

I first noticed that the box wasn't much bigger than the tank. It then looked as if the box had been opened and re-taped shut. It occurred to me that a nice Customs man may have taken a look inside. I opened the box and found that what little foam packing there was, was positioned rather hap-hazardly. I then realised that a plastic bag that the tank should have been in, had just been chucked back into the box along with the tank and because of that, sticky tape on the packing had stuck to the tank. I lifted the tank out of the box.

Somehow, a mark like a vampire bite had left two nicks in the paint at the front on the top left hand side of the tank. For some odd reason I then turned the tank over to take a look underneath and noticed that the edge that it sits on if you place it flat on the floor was scuffed quite badly in places as if it had been put on the edge of a rough shelve, pushed further on, then pulled back off, too many times. I then noticed that for me, the fuel cap is too loose on its pin when fully opened, though it looks as if it will do its job when closed.

By now I had it in my shed and on the bench under quite harsh light, it quickly became apparent that the paint finish is rather disappointing. It looks as if it was given a last polish with a very fine emery cloth. I have to say though that I am getting results with T cut; however the lacquer is rock hard and It looks like its going to take a while. The fine marks are mostly longitudinal, so with a proper polishing motion it is easy to see them slowly disappear.

I then turned the tank around. Arghhhhhh! Yes boys and girls; a dent; just under the Norton logo on the left hand side. (Undamaged paint). I replaced the tank in the box and sure enough, it looks like the damage was done in transit. Its not a huge dent, but it is obvious and I'm going to have to see if an organisation like Dent Doctors can sort it out.

I'm also concerned about the threads in the holes for the rubber mounts. I'll have to run a tap down them as the bolts don't seem to go in very far.

Obviously I haven't checked how leak resistant it is yet, but looking at the general build quality, I have to say that it seems fairly bomb proof. The filler neck lets it down a little, in that I think welding the filler neck on must tend to warp the surrounding sheet steel. So just around the neck its a teenzy bit woozy.

Total marks out of ten. 6.5 / 7

Now this is where everyone is likely to disagree with everyone else. I'm putting the tank on a well worn, much used bike. (I did 60 miles just last night attending the new Suffolk Branch meeting at the Gardners Arms, Tostock). I've been out on her quite often just lately, and as most of you know, I can take her abroad to throw her at an Armco just like the best of us. For me, the tank is almost fit for purpose and after a bit of TLC, as long as it doesn't leak, it will do just fine. If I'd wanted perfection I'd have been prepared to pay double. If I'd received the tank expecting perfection, I'd have given it 3.5 out of 10.

I paid £330 total.

So to sum up. The manufacturer is not the only possible fly in the ointment! Customs, who want to know what it is and can't be arsed to re-pack it properly. The consignor for minimum packaging, the delivery company for the dent, the storage expert with the gravel shelves, the slightly wonky welder and the painter/polisher who shouldn't polish in straight lines. 'How weird is that'!

I still live in hope that when you see the tank you will say. "Hmm! That's not too bad".

Now make your own mind up!

Kev

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by christopher_winsby at March 17. 2017

Previously Kevin Feltoe wrote:

Well everyone, here we go!

The tank turned up on the 13th. I was lucky; I was in at the time. I'd had no warning and the tracking option didn't work. I was so gob smacked to have the guy standing at my front door that I never even thought to check out the drivers particulars. I signed for the box and he'd driven off before my jaw left the floor and my mouth closed.

Before I begin the autopsy I should say that I'm not going to tell anyone whether they should buy one or not. That is up to the purchaser alone. All I'm going to do is give my feed back. Its up to everyone else to come to their own conclusion.

I first noticed that the box wasn't much bigger than the tank. It then looked as if the box had been opened and re-taped shut. It occurred to me that a nice Customs man may have taken a look inside. I opened the box and found that what little foam packing there was, was positioned rather hap-hazardly. I then realised that a plastic bag that the tank should have been in, had just been chucked back into the box along with the tank and because of that, sticky tape on the packing had stuck to the tank. I lifted the tank out of the box.

Somehow, a mark like a vampire bite had left two nicks in the paint at the front on the top left hand side of the tank. For some odd reason I then turned the tank over to take a look underneath and noticed that the edge that it sits on if you place it flat on the floor was scuffed quite badly in places as if it had been put on the edge of a rough shelve, pushed further on, then pulled back off, too many times. I then noticed that for me, the fuel cap is too loose on its pin when fully opened, though it looks as if it will do its job when closed.

By now I had it in my shed and on the bench under quite harsh light, it quickly became apparent that the paint finish is rather disappointing. It looks as if it was given a last polish with a very fine emery cloth. I have to say though that I am getting results with T cut; however the lacquer is rock hard and It looks like its going to take a while. The fine marks are mostly longitudinal, so with a proper polishing motion it is easy to see them slowly disappear.

I then turned the tank around. Arghhhhhh! Yes boys and girls; a dent; just under the Norton logo on the left hand side. (Undamaged paint). I replaced the tank in the box and sure enough, it looks like the damage was done in transit. Its not a huge dent, but it is obvious and I'm going to have to see if an organisation like Dent Doctors can sort it out.

I'm also concerned about the threads in the holes for the rubber mounts. I'll have to run a tap down them as the bolts don't seem to go in very far.

Obviously I haven't checked how leak resistant it is yet, but looking at the general build quality, I have to say that it seems fairly bomb proof. The filler neck lets it down a little, in that I think welding the filler neck on must tend to warp the surrounding sheet steel. So just around the neck its a teenzy bit woozy.

Total marks out of ten. 6.5 / 7

Now this is where everyone is likely to disagree with everyone else. I'm putting the tank on a well worn, much used bike. (I did 60 miles just last night attending the new Suffolk Branch meeting at the Gardners Arms, Tostock). I've been out on her quite often just lately, and as most of you know, I can take her abroad to throw her at an Armco just like the best of us. For me, the tank is almost fit for purpose and after a bit of TLC, as long as it doesn't leak, it will do just fine. If I'd wanted perfection I'd have been prepared to pay double. If I'd received the tank expecting perfection, I'd have given it 3.5 out of 10.

I paid £330 total.

So to sum up. The manufacturer is not the only possible fly in the ointment! Customs, who want to know what it is and can't be arsed to re-pack it properly. The consignor for minimum packaging, the delivery company for the dent, the storage expert with the gravel shelves, the slightly wonky welder and the painter/polisher who shouldn't polish in straight lines. 'How weird is that'!

I still live in hope that when you see the tank you will say. "Hmm! That's not too bad".

Now make your own mind up!

Kev

The fact that you have the bike on the road and are using it says it all. I have an Alloy tank and the filler cap neck is glued on. You could stick to an original tank and end up like the attached picture. Now that was an original tank. Good luck

Attachments

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by david_evans at March 17. 2017

Like Chris's alloy tank, my Bartel alloy tank also has the filler cap ring glued in, whilst it hasn't come loose (yet) the line of glue round the inside of the neck has disappeared into the fuel.

Kev, you could complain to customs, I waited weeks for carbs from the States before I found by my own inquiry that they were sitting in a postal depot waiting for import duty to be paid. They would still be there now had I not chased them down.

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Kevin Feltoe at March 17. 2017

I suppose I could complain to everyone who had anything to do with the transaction, and there in lies the problem. At the end of the day, all anyone can really do is decide if the risk of spending £300 on an Indian tank is worth taking. Complaining won't improve the tank. I'm fairly certain that the tank was dented during its journey, but I can't prove it. About the only thing I can de sure of to complain about is the paint work (finish) and the scuff marks on the bottom edges. I'd rather keep the tank than go through endless hoops with no certain outcome.

One other thing worth thinking about!

Although the tank looks good shape wise, I feel that had I had control of the artwork I could have improved on the general finished look of the tank. Positioning of the logos and pin striping could have been a little better, but that's just me being picky.

If you buy an unpainted tank, you get to see the metal, you get to sort any problems before you have it painted, you get to talk to the painter, he does it how you want it and you get to spend a whole lot more money on your project.

Kev

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by John Shorter at March 17. 2017

O.K. Dominator, not Commando, fuel tank.   I would rate the tank I bought 9 out of 10.   Supplied chromed, with full decals, fuel cap, and tap, with knee rubbers supplied loose.  Like Anna, I found it was not a perfect fit at the front, but repositioning the front mounting rubbers solved this.  The only slight disappointment was the colour, more silver than the original.   In the unlikely event of needing another I would use the same supplier, but order the tank chromed, but unpainted.   Packing was excellent, and, here in Spain, there was no import duty.  Oh, one "nit pick" there was no seal on the filler cap.

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Kevin Feltoe at March 22. 2017

Well people, after a fair bit of work, but not as much as I expected. the tank is fitted. It seems to be holding on to its contents and looks quite reasonable. I'll post a picture when I get the chance. The tank has a somewhat subtly different shape. It is slightly taller than the ruined f g one and therefore looks squatter, which gives the bike a scrunched up look, as if it is getting ready to pounce. Now I've written it, it sounds daft, but that's how I see it.

I had to clean out the threads, but positioning of the mounting points was well within tolerable limits. It does seem to sit harder against the seat and I had to push it back to stop the forks from hitting it on full lock. This makes me think that it must be larger than it looks.

It needed a good wash out before I could use it. It was full of swarf and slag. I'm expecting to have to clean the tap filters quite soon.

All in all, I'm a happy bear. It's just a shame about the dent.

Kev.

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Kevin Feltoe at March 24. 2017

Its early days, only four with fuel in the tank, but today I noticed something that could possibly change the whole game. The tank seems to have developed a tiny little 'spot' about half way back along it on the left where the top of the tank rolls over into the side. The spot definitely wasn't there yesterday, so I'll be keeping a beady eye on it. If there is a pin hole in the metal, or it proves to be something breaking out from under the paint then I will be looking at complaining to eBay, because as far as I'm concerned, the tank won't be fit for purpose. Shame, as I was rather getting to like it.

Kev 

 

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by David Cooper at March 25. 2017

That's sad if it does leak.  I wonder if there is an endemic problem with hand welded tanks?  I assume that original mass produced steel tanks were hand welded (there were no robots) but I bet the skills took a lot of time to gain.  Welding is pretty much always defective.  They cannot be deliberately selling faulty goods since these stories are harming their future business growth.  But if it's practically impossible to make them perfectly without the welders having decades of prior experience, we  might end up without being able to buy them at all.

Maybe you'll have to put up with occasionally rubbing a bar of soap around the bottom seam?!  That's the traditional tank sealant, isn't it?  I wonder if soap is ethanol proof?

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by john_holmes at March 25. 2017

There seem to be 2 types of Interstate tank available from India.

1. Traditional Indian low tech made from a number of flat panels beaten and then welded together so lots of seams.

2. One made from a top half pressed on a tool and then welded to a bottom half, so less length of seam to go wrong.

 

I believe this is one of the 'from tooling' Interstates

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORTON-COMMANDO-INTERSTATE-FUEL-GAS-TANK-GAS-TANK-TOP-QUALITY-/162387238302?

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Kevin Feltoe at March 25. 2017

The story goes on.

About to throw away my FG tank, I decided it would be foolish to chuck it with its filler cap, so I took the cap off. Realising again how easy they come off with the right size drifts, I thought I'd try improving my new tank as the filler cap waved about in the wind when it was open. Selecting the right drift I carefully tapped the end of the roll pin. I might as well have asked a passing ant to pull the ruddy thing out it came out so easily. It was a size too small and I discovered that the pin from the FB tank was far more of an interference fit. After some careful walloping I had the cap fitted with the right size pin and it was then that I discovered why they fitted it with an undersize pin. It would now only open 'slightly'. The hinge area isn't aligned properly and as the cap opens, the rear end of it makes contact with the mounting.

They had gone some way to overcoming this problem. They had removed the rear spring in the cap, ground part of the cap away to allow it to swing back and fitted the undersize pin. This ensured that it was loose in almost every position. Only all this allowed it to open fully and I was worried about a rubbish seal allowing fuel to leak out.

I've now used another cap with its spring intact and the right size roll pin. I did have to grind away some of the cap carefully and now it opens far enough to get a nozzle in for fuelling. I put a new seal on it and now when its closed its closed tight. Also, when its open it certainly doesn't flap about.

I haven't got any leaks yet. I think whatever has caused the tiny dimple in the paint is something trapped under the paint that has reacted.

So far I feel I've improved the tank quite a bit, but do I need this hassle? Probably not!

I remember being surprised when they told me that they would fit a cap to the tank for no extra cost. I know why now. The part that the cap hinges on lets the build quality down and a lot of people would not have the ability to improve it. Also, its a painted tank and easy to damage.

After all this, if it does leak you can be sure that I will be complaining to EBay.

Kev

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Kevin Feltoe at March 27. 2017

Previously john_holmes wrote:

There seem to be 2 types of Interstate tank available from India.

1. Traditional Indian low tech made from a number of flat panels beaten and then welded together so lots of seams.

2. One made from a top half pressed on a tool and then welded to a bottom half, so less length of seam to go wrong.

 

I believe this is one of the 'from tooling' Interstates

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORTON-COMMANDO-INTERSTATE-FUEL-GAS-TANK-GAS-TANK-TOP-QUALITY-/162387238302?

 

I wouldn't bank on anything being definitely different from any of the seemingly alternate fuel tank manufacturers. Many of them seem suspiciously the same if you compare them closely and have 'vintage' as part of their name. What does 'Top Quality', a phrase that they all seem to enjoy using, mean anyway. Its all relative. There are some people who can produce 'wonders' by hand, and some who's tooling would make you cringe. At the end of the day buying one of these tanks is just a leap in the dark.

Kev 

 

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Kevin Feltoe at April 08. 2017

For any of you who are still interested, here is the latest update.

I am now asking Vintageindia13 for my money back. Since fitting the fuel tank to my Commando and putting fuel in it, it has proved to have at least two pin holes in the steel that have caused the paint to bubble. One hole is opposite the filler cap on the top of the tank at the other side and the other is at the front, hidden close to the steering yoke.

Trouble is, that isn't the worst problem. The bike conked out on me on Thursday evening, but I managed to nurse her home. One minute she was flooding and the next she was starving. On Friday I removed the carb and discovered that it was full of what looks like brick dust. Something in the tank has been washed into the fuel and contaminated the whole fuel system.

I have drained and removed the tank and won't be using it again. Even draining it proved problematical, as the fuel taps kept blocking. I dread to think what damage this might have done to the engine.

In summary, it was dented during transit, the tank cap was ridiculously loose, the paint finish was disappointing, it has at least two pin holes in the steel that fuel fumes can escape through and bubble the paint, it is contaminated with something that can cause the engine to stop and I have had enough.

I am currently in contact with Vintageindia13, so I won't say any more until this has been settled. I have told them that if I don't get my money back I will ask eBay to take over.

These are the facts so far. Please take note!

Kev

P.S. I did tell them before I made the purchase that I would be posting my findings on the Norton website.

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by gino_rondelli at April 09. 2017

One of our Tay Valley guys got a fastback tank from India for similar money, unpainted , it fitted OK after some work and looks good, I decided to go for the RGM option, over £600 bare (ouch) it's. Still in my attic and my fastback unused. I've been quoted 4-500 pounds to paint it in the original metal flake blue so over £1k for a bloody tank for a bike that's a rough and ready "user" , it's all getting rather silly.

BTW just replaced the fibreglass tank on my 70 roadster with a Second hand metal one (expensive paint job again) last week, bloody ethanol!!!!!!!!!

 

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Kevin Feltoe at April 09. 2017

Previously gino_rondelli wrote:

One of our Tay Valley guys got a fastback tank from India for similar money, unpainted , it fitted OK after some work and looks good, I decided to go for the RGM option, over £600 bare (ouch) it's. Still in my attic and my fastback unused. I've been quoted 4-500 pounds to paint it in the original metal flake blue so over £1k for a bloody tank for a bike that's a rough and ready "user" , it's all getting rather silly.

BTW just replaced the fibreglass tank on my 70 roadster with a Second hand metal one (expensive paint job again) last week, bloody ethanol!!!!!!!!!

 

It is a point worth noting I think Gino, that yes, it is the ethanol that has caused these problems in the first place, but my main gripe is that when I buy a fuel tank that is supposed to be the finished article, I expect to be able to chuck it onto the bike and use it without problems, even if it does only cost £330. I don't expect to have to ruin it by having it welded in an attempt to fix it.
It seems to me that as so many people are after fuel tanks that can be trusted, maybe the NOC should take a look at getting some decent ones made that meet our requirements. I realise it won't be cheap, but at least we'd be able to trust the damned things. I'd pay fairly silly money for that trust, but £600 bare is over the top somewhat.

I have a T shirt that says the following.

Motorcyclist.

A person willing to take a container of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot engine and then put the whole lot between their legs.

I draw the line at doing that when it leaks.

Kev

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by gino_rondelli at April 09. 2017

Always said we should be spending the clubs money on stuff that's uneconomic for the "real" spares dealers to make. Not supplying spares that are readily available commercially but it seems no one listens. That's why we end up buying crap and product testing ourselves.

 

Can of worms opened ?

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by richard_payne at April 09. 2017

It's difficult Gino, if the Indians are making tanks for £300 then 2/3rds of the buyers will go for them regardless.

I have a friend in the trade who supplies Andover, Lockheed and other pukka parts but 100% of Triumph owners and 60% of Norton owners choose the cheapest available, whether it's shite or not. They have no shame. They always ask for something cheaper and even haggle about £10 oil filters.

To the owners who visit the local old bike club twice in a summer to claim bragging rights before selling the ex-eBay project on again, it really doesn't matter very much.

It's sad but those of us with a long-term committment to making these old clunkers something approaching reliable are really a tiny minority.

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by gino_rondelli at April 10. 2017

Richard, true I suppose, I forgot they were for polishing and admiring and I stupidly used mine. Damn, now I know why it wears out.

i had a conversation years (Decades ago) ago with Rodger at RGM, he had a particularly bad batch of chocolate speedo gearbox's made, he told me that if he made them so they would work for a long time, nobody would buy them as the price would be prohibitive.

Its funny that most of us will have a pile of useless speedo gearbox's in a box, mines are next to the pile of 3 lobe cam shafts !

i still love them though

Re: Indian Interstate tank

Posted by Kevin Feltoe at April 10. 2017

Right then Gents. How do we go about lobbying the Club to have fuel tanks made?

Do we collect signatures and hand them in at the Chairman's front door, or do we just generally moan and gripe for ever more. Perhaps this is the first really really MAJOR manufacturing purchase that the club needs to make, or at least get an idea of the cost. It seems to me that the EC could decide how much could be put to one side for fuel tank manufacture and then see if the job could be done within that price. As fibreglass tanks are being eaten alive, new Interstates would be the logical first build, I think! There must be someone out there that could make a batch of six for a 'sensible' price.

What say you all?  Yes or no?

Perhaps we need a 'Club Priority Purchase' page on the web site for NOC Members to append their names to. Or perhaps we have and I've missed it.

Kev

Powered by Ploneboard
Upcoming Events
2017 International Rally Aug 24, 2017 - Aug 28, 2017 — Open Huis, Ieperstraat 157 - 8840 Staden, Belgium
2017 MGP Reunion Aug 29, 2017 03:00 PM - 06:00 PM — The Shore Hotel, Old Laxey Hill Laxey. Isle of Man IM4 7DA
Tay Valley Branch Camping Weekend - Town Yetholm Sep 08, 2017 - Sep 10, 2017
CRMC Track Parade - Anglesey Coastal Sep 09, 2017 - Sep 10, 2017 — A55, Ty Croes, Gwynedd LL63 5TF
Zoë Cano at Surrey Branch Sep 13, 2017 07:45 PM - 10:45 PM — The Stepping Stones PH Westhumble Street Westhumble, Dorking, Surrey RH5 6BS
Upcoming events…
This is Brio Diazo Plone Theme