Navigation

You are here: Home / Messages / Heavy Twins / Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Up to Heavy Twins

Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by Rob Bradley at February 12. 2017

Can anyone point me to a source of dimensions for a 1953/4 bolt-up Featherbed frame?

Particularly for constructing a missing rear section, but all dimensions would be useful.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by John Shorter at February 15. 2017

I see you have had no replies, to date.  Have you got the information you require?  If not, did you get the email I sent you, via this site?  Regards, John.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by Rob Bradley at February 15. 2017

Hi John, and thanks for trying to help with this. No, I've logged in to this site and looked for your message but can't find anything. Never had a PM via the site before, so I may be looking in the wrong places.I hope we can make contact.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by John Shorter at February 15. 2017

Hi Rob,  Don't know what went wrong.  I clicked on your icon, and used the message option, you should have got an email, have you checked your "Junk mail" box?

I have a '54 88, and offered to take some photos, and measurements, of the rear sub frame.  The bike is in a friend's garage at the moment, but, I hope to get it home within a week-10 days.

I prefer email, as many posts get hi-jacked with irrelevant comments.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by Rob Bradley at February 15. 2017

John, I'm happy to communicate by email if we can establish contact.

It wouldn't have helped that I've changed my email address recently and forgot to change it here! I've done that now, so if you can try again we should be in touch.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by Rob Bradley at February 16. 2017

John, did you get my email sent via this site? I suspect not, because I sent one to myself and didn't receive it, and I'm not receiving yours sent by the same method. I have to conclude that the email function of this site doesn't work.

So how are we going to establish contact? I don't want to lose this opportunity, and I do appreciate your offer to help, when replies to my query haven't exactly been flooding in from other members.

I respect your preference for email, and I'm quite happy with it if it can be made to work. I see from your profile that you have replied to threads in the past without them being hijacked with irrelevant comments, so I don't really understand your objection to posting on the forum. The lack of replies to my question suggests that this information is hard to come by, so you might be doing other members a service if it were published on the forum.

But I realize there is one member in particular who has a tendency to hijack threads on the forum, and I think a lot of us find it annoying.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by John Shorter at February 16. 2017

Sorry Rob, I don't know what has gone wrong with this site. No, I didn't receive your email, and, obviously, you didn't get mine yesterday, with my email address.

Are you on Facebook?  If so, you should be able to find me there, and message me from there.  If all else fails I will post my address here, but only as a last resort.  John.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by Rob Bradley at February 16. 2017

This is complicated! No, I'm not on Facebook, never felt the need. I do have a Flickr page for my bike photos if that could be a way to make contact? I can see why you wouldn't post your address on here, I feel the same.

I've emailed the NOC webmaster to see if he can sort things out.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by Martyn Watson at February 17. 2017

I Have a '53 subframe if you need any dimensions Rob, It's off the bike so relatively easy to measure.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by Tony Ripley at February 18. 2017

Previously Rob Bradley wrote:

This is complicated! No, I'm not on Facebook, never felt the need. I do have a Flickr page for my bike photos if that could be a way to make contact? I can see why you wouldn't post your address on here, I feel the same.

I've emailed the NOC webmaster to see if he can sort things out.

Hi Guys,

Your email address needs to be checked:-

1.       Log in to the site.

2.       Click on your name in the top left hand corner of the screen.

3.       Click on the ‘Preferences’ link.

4.       On the Preferences page he then needs to click on the ‘Personal Information’ tab.

5.       Then enter (correct) email address into the email box and  click on ‘Save’ at the bottom of the page.

 

I have just send a contact to me and it arrived.

Regards

Tony 

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by John Shorter at February 18. 2017

Hi Tony,  Thanks for the advice, but, problem solved.  Rob had changed his email address, but not updated his club details, so, when I tried to message him, my messages were sent to the old address.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by ian_hay at February 19. 2017

Previously Rob Bradley wrote:

Can anyone point me to a source of dimensions for a 1953/4 bolt-up Featherbed frame?

Particularly for constructing a missing rear section, but all dimensions would be useful.

Hello Rob,

I have a 1951 b/up f/bed frame and recently my friend who is a  metal fabricator copied the subframe for a fellow member.

As he has now made a jig he might be prepared to do another one should  that be what you require.

He would constuct it from  whatever spec' material you  required.

We are located within the Thames Valley area,  where are you?

If this is of interest to you and you respond to this message I can contact him and put you in touch.

Regards,  Ian.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by Rob Bradley at February 20. 2017

Previously martyn_watson wrote:

I Have a '53 subframe if you need any dimensions Rob, It's off the bike so relatively easy to measure.

 

Thanks, Martyn, sounds helpful. I've been busy so just found your reply. I'll get back to you when I get a moment.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by Rob Bradley at February 20. 2017

Previously Tony Ripley wrote:

Previously Rob Bradley wrote:

This is complicated! No, I'm not on Facebook, never felt the need. I do have a Flickr page for my bike photos if that could be a way to make contact? I can see why you wouldn't post your address on here, I feel the same.

I've emailed the NOC webmaster to see if he can sort things out.

Hi Guys,

Your email address needs to be checked:-

1.       Log in to the site.

2.       Click on your name in the top left hand corner of the screen.

3.       Click on the ‘Preferences’ link.

4.       On the Preferences page he then needs to click on the ‘Personal Information’ tab.

5.       Then enter (correct) email address into the email box and  click on ‘Save’ at the bottom of the page.

I have just send a contact to me and it arrived.

Regards

Tony

Tony, I did do exactly as you describe but I still couldn't send an email to myself from this site.

I've just tried again and it still didn't work.

John also mentions changing my club details as well, so maybe that is the reason. If it is, how do I go about it?

Sorry my reply is greyed out as if it's a quote, I don't know how to avoid it. I don't seem to be very good at this foruming lark!

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by Rob Bradley at February 20. 2017

Previously ian_hay wrote:

Previously Rob Bradley wrote:

Can anyone point me to a source of dimensions for a 1953/4 bolt-up Featherbed frame?

Particularly for constructing a missing rear section, but all dimensions would be useful.

Hello Rob,

I have a 1951 b/up f/bed frame and recently my friend who is a  metal fabricator copied the subframe for a fellow member.

As he has now made a jig he might be prepared to do another one should  that be what you require.

He would constuct it from  whatever spec' material you  required.

We are located within the Thames Valley area,  where are you?

If this is of interest to you and you respond to this message I can contact him and put you in touch.

Regards,  Ian.

Thanks Ian, could be just the job. I'll get back to you.

Rob

 

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by Martyn Watson at February 20. 2017

I didn't realise you were in nz as well Rob.

The fella withe the jig down at thames could be useful, I have a mate up here in auckland that wants a subframe too, maybe we can get the guy interested in making a couple?

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by Rob Bradley at February 20. 2017

I think there's some confusion here, Martyn.

I'm not in NZ, I'm in the UK. I was assuming Ian in the Thames valley is in the UK too, though I realize there is a place in NZ called Thames so I may be wrong.

 

Previously martyn_watson wrote:

I didn't realise you were in nz as well Rob.

The fella withe the jig down at thames could be useful, I have a mate up here in auckland that wants a subframe too, maybe we can get the guy interested in making a couple?

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by John Shorter at February 20. 2017

Rob, I tried to email you some photos, yesterday, did you get them?  If not, email me again.

Re: Bolt-up Featherbed frame

Posted by ian_hay at February 20. 2017

Previously Rob Bradley wrote:

Previously ian_hay wrote:

Previously Rob Bradley wrote:

 

Can anyone point me to a source of dimensions for a 1953/4 bolt-up Featherbed frame?

Particularly for constructing a missing rear section, but all dimensions would be useful.

Hello Rob,

I have a 1951 b/up f/bed frame and recently my friend who is a  metal fabricator copied the subframe for a fellow member.

As he has now made a jig he might be prepared to do another one should  that be what you require.

He would constuct it from  whatever spec' material you  required.

We are located within the Thames Valley area,  where are you?

If this is of interest to you and you respond to this message I can contact him and put you in touch.

Regards,  Ian.

Thanks Ian, could be just the job. I'll get back to you.

Rob

Hello Rob,

Well its good to know that we're both in the UK.

If you need to contact me please 'phone Tony  Ripley and he will give you my  'phone  number..

Regards, Ian.

You will find  his number ln the back of the NOC journal listed under Technical  Administrator

Powered by Ploneboard
This is Brio Diazo Plone Theme