Navigation

You are here: Home / Messages / Heavy Twins / Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Up to Heavy Twins

Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Posted by john_blears at March 12. 2017

Hi everyone, I'm new to the club and need some help.

In 2013 I bought my Norton as a basket case from a trader at Stafford show it is a matching numbers Dominator 99 comissioned on the 1st June and registered on the 9th June 1956 It is one of the first of the 1957 models which I am informed that they did start to build from the 1st June. The problems that i'm having is identifying what it should or shouldn't have fitted as standard ie, Chrome panels on the fuel tank, pedal type footrests etc I have the bible by Roy Bacon but it just doesn't go into enough detail.

The bike is still a box of bits that I have just started building into assemblies ready for the final assembly after everything has been painted.

I need a detailed build list from the Norton factory but as it is nowhere near complete how do I go about obtaining this list to assist in the build

Thanks in advance

John

Re: Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Posted by richard_evans at March 12. 2017

Don't know what you mean by a detailed Norton factory build list but there are a lot of people on her with similar machines who would only be too glad to assist if you could be more precise.

I have this particular model and as a starter I can tell you they do have the screwed on chrome side panels on the tank.

 


Re: Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Posted by john_holmes at March 12. 2017

I need a detailed build list from the Norton factory but as it is nowhere near complete how do I go about obtaining this list to assist in the build

 

You need a spares parts list for 1956 which covers 88 and 99 deluxe. If you email me I can send you the PDF.

 

Also you can start here

 

http://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/index/Models-88-99-De-Luxe-Twin-195_275.htm

Re: Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Posted by john_blears at March 12. 2017

Previously richard_evans wrote:

Don't know what you mean by a detailed Norton factory build list but there are a lot of people on her with similar machines who would only be too glad to assist if you could be more precise.

I have this particular model and as a starter I can tell you they do have the screwed on chrome side panels on the tank.

 

Hi Richard

Thanks for your prompt reply

Well you have answered one problem but there are many others like what silencers should it have, what footrests etc I was talking to Les Emery at Norvil the other day who is pretty knowlegeable but he didn't have all the answers as apparently Norto used parts from earlier models until they ran out which would mean that there is a few hybrids out there. I've been buying period magazines from 1956 to look at adverts and any literature to help as really all the people that knew for certain have already unfortunately passed away.

My bike was originally sold in Lancashire and it has now been brought back home from Yorkshire it has apparently been in boxes from the mid to late sixties when the then owner stripped it to repair he has saddly died a good number of years ago the bike was passed onto his son who sold it to the man that I purchased it off there has been many parts lost in all the moves since it was taken appart and it is for this reason that I ask for as much detailed information as possible because I want to return the bike into original as it left the factory condition to add to my large collection of classic motorcycles

Re: Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Posted by john_holmes at March 12. 2017

You cannot know what non 56 parts were fitted with out a time machine.

Re: Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Posted by john_blears at March 12. 2017

Previously john_holmes wrote:

I need a detailed build list from the Norton factory but as it is nowhere near complete how do I go about obtaining this list to assist in the build

 

You need a spares parts list for 1956 which covers 88 and 99 deluxe.

 

Also you can start here

 

http://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/index/Models-88-99-De-Luxe-Twin-195_275.htm

Hi John

I have the lists for both the 1956 and the 1957, I have already bought so many parts from RGM along with Norvil and I have only done the engine and gearbox for now the wheels are away with Jeff Holt from Bolton to have new rims fitted and I'm currently into stripping the frame etc to bare metal for a repaint in the equivilent of Polychromatic Grey so I'm well on with it but when I start to show it I don't want people coming up to me saying that this and that is wrong and I do like to get things right first time if you know what I mean

PS I do also ride my bikes they aren't just trailer dollies lol

Re: Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Posted by David Cooper at March 12. 2017

If you are staring 'cold', then Roy Bacon's "Norton Twins Restoration" would be a good place to start.  Also his smaller format 'Norton Twins' lists model detail changes year by year.  Andover Norton stock both.

Re: Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Posted by Pete McDermott at March 12. 2017

The August 2016 edition of Real Classic has a good article on the late 1956 version of the 99 with good photos.  Basically the earlier version but with a panelled tank.

http://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/issue/View/issue/RC148/?utm_source=RCMag&utm_medium=OnPage&utm_term=BackIssues&utm_campaign=RealClassicMagazine

Re: Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Posted by john_blears at March 12. 2017

Previously Pete McDermott wrote:

The August 2016 edition of Real Classic has a good article on the late 1956 version of the 99 with good photos.  Basically the earlier version but with a panelled tank.

http://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/issue/View/issue/RC148/?utm_source=RCMag&utm_medium=OnPage&utm_term=BackIssues&utm_campaign=RealClassicMagazine

Wow

 

Thanks for that Peter

Re: Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Posted by john_blears at March 12. 2017

Previously john_blears wrote:

Previously Pete McDermott wrote:

The August 2016 edition of Real Classic has a good article on the late 1956 version of the 99 with good photos.  Basically the earlier version but with a panelled tank.

http://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/issue/View/issue/RC148/?utm_source=RCMag&utm_medium=OnPage&utm_term=BackIssues&utm_campaign=RealClassicMagazine

Wow

What a write up that bike got and so very informative, loads of pictures giving me useful information and on the plus side he lives not too far from me so I think I'll be making regular visits to the carosel at Southport

Thanks for that Peter

Re: Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Posted by richard_evans at March 12. 2017

A good starting point would be to carefully study photographs of original or well restored machines or visit some of the shows, ot the NEC where there are similar machines on display.  The 99 is usually well represented on the NOC stands.

The Norton parts lists will of course provide you with illustrations and Part Numbers

I'm sure that if you keep coming back here as you progress with your project you will get good advice to update your project.

I've just completed a rebuild of the exact model and it does take a bit of patience.  I can advise on the colour equivalent if you need that information.

 

 

 

 

 

Re: Help with detail on my 1956 Norton Dominator 99

Posted by john_blears at March 14. 2017

Previously richard_evans wrote:

A good starting point would be to carefully study photographs of original or well restored machines or visit some of the shows, ot the NEC where there are similar machines on display.  The 99 is usually well represented on the NOC stands.

The Norton parts lists will of course provide you with illustrations and Part Numbers

I'm sure that if you keep coming back here as you progress with your project you will get good advice to update your project.

I've just completed a rebuild of the exact model and it does take a bit of patience.  I can advise on the colour equivalent if you need that information.

 

 

I have been given two colours one ford and the other vw is this right

 

 

 

Powered by Ploneboard
Upcoming Events
Surrey Branch at the South of England Classic Show Apr 02, 2017 10:00 AM - 05:00 PM — South of England Showground, Ardingly, West Sussex, RH17 6TL
Tay Valley Branch - Huntygowks lunch meeting Apr 02, 2017 11:00 AM - 04:00 PM — Tullybanocher café, Comrie
2017 AGM Apr 02, 2017 11:00 AM - 04:00 PM — Coventry Transport Museum, Millennium Place, Hales St, Coventry CV1 1JD
Prescott Hill Climb & Bike Fest Apr 09, 2017 08:30 AM - 04:30 PM — Bugatti Owners Club, Prescott Hill, Gotherington, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52 9RD
CRMC Track Parade - Pembrey Apr 15, 2017 - Apr 16, 2017 — Pembrey Circuit Llanelli Carmarthenshire SA16 0HZ
Upcoming events…
This is Brio Diazo Plone Theme